Difficulty Level : Beginner
BASCOOL (Bangalore Adventure School) is the only institute in India that provides structured training for Canyoneering / Canyoning
What is Canyoning / Canyoneering
Canyoning and Canyoneering are terms used to describe an adventure sport that combines hiking, wading, swimming, jumping, sliding, boulder-hopping, scrambling, rock-climbing, sometimes pack-rafting and always rappelling — often over waterfalls.
So, hiking to the top of a mountain, getting down into a canyon and following the watercourse is called canyoneering. If some spots in the canyons are waterfalls, then in order to continue further down, we will need ropes and other types of equipment along with the required knowledge and practice to use them. Such a controlled descent of a rock face using a rope is called Rappelling (in Europe it is called Abseiling).
Canyoning is an emerging adventure sport in the India, and has grown significantly in popularity over the past few years. This sport has unique risks and requires a very specific set of technical skills to enjoy it safely. Rock-climbing, caving, mountaineering and swift-water training teach related skills for your ‘toolbox’, but Canyoning has become highly specialised, and much of the gear and many of the techniques of Canyoning are distinctly different from those of the other sports
First 2 hours will be theory and after that 4-6 hours will be practical on the rope.
- Intro to Gear, Terminology and communication.
- Rappelling Techniques & On-Rope Skills
- Adding Friction Pre-rappel
- Adding Friction Mid-rappel
- Locking Off etc.
- Specialized Rappelling Techniques
- Hard Starts
- Soft Starts
- Free-Hanging etc
- Safety Checking
1) All participants must reach Tumkur Road (near NICE Road). Exact Location will be provided to registered participants. Training location is closer to Nelamangala Toll
Things to Bring:
- Full length hiking pants
- Full sleeve hiking shirt
- Helmet – Climbing or bicycle or skating (bring if you have it)
- 2 litres water
- Snacks like – dry grapes, ground nut, cashew etc. (light weight but, high energy)
- Some good shoes (running, tennis, hiking or any sports shoes)
- Notebook and Pen
What we will bring for group:
- Rappel devices